Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Novel Writing Paralysis

I need to stop reading e-mail before I start writing. I spent the majority of yesterday obsessing about bland characters...after deciding that I like bland characters (vis-a-vis, my typical TV schedule). This is not an interesting or usable character flaw, unlike a penchant for sharing nachos with the dog. The white and fuzzy dog seems to be recuperating from his hip issue and the retriever is snoozing happily behind me (nacho bliss--I remember that from college).

Meanwhile, my characters are desperately trying to hijack a new story line and are currently wandering about loose in between scenes. I believe they are eventually going to hitch a ride into a more interesting yarn, but I'm still waiting for that ride myself. I've gotten them out of the castle, which was hampering their ability to do anything but stare out invisible walls and fume about things that were happening elsewhere. Although I can relate to that experience, I can also vouch for it's being nothing to share. So, I knocked the top of one of the towers and flung the little darlings out into the ocean to get themselves to a more interesting place.

My writing group seems to be doing really, even my SO has managed to pull together a decent story with an actual plot. I know this exercise is supposed to be about finishing something so that you can go back to it, but I'm not sure how to finish this particular story apart from a really dull day...the main characters are navel gazing, bend forward, and start to see a black hole where their navel should be...lean further forward and time stretches out and they circle the spiral of their own vast emptiness until SSSSHHHHWWUP! Inside out and eternity...

Well, I can only put this off for so long...I'm many words behind.

Chrissa

No comments: