Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Anger and Expectations

I'm going to pause for a moment in my continuing search for the elusive spirit of the holidays to remark on a situation that I'm currently involved in. Recently, I (and others) were presented with a new set of standards for an organization of which we are a part. These standards were decided by a group of persons who have little day-to-day contact with the organization and less communication with the individual members of the organization. The new standards are the equivalent of a face-lift, they change nothing fundamental but re-conture familiar territory. The one fundamental change that was made happened to be negative. No additional positive changes were made or mentioned.

I am greatly disappointed in this particular decision-making session. It has made me aware that everything that I do, whether it be stopping by a particular shop for breakfast, becoming a member of an organization, or forwarding an e-mail marks against my character. I didn't acquit myself well when presented with this particular issue. In fact, I took out my frustration on a minor point that added insult to injury. That this response was prompted by the knowledge that I knew better than to have expectations for fair treatment or consideration does me no credit. It does, however, give me a resolution for 2008: That I will think about the values and commitments that I hold and that I will have the courage to act accordingly, providing I have the wisdom to act at all.

No comments: